Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Skeeter Fodder

It's been raining on and off all day. When it rains it gets so humid that everything just feels wet. I hadn't even been in the rain but all my clothes are damp just from sitting outside undercover. I just walked down the street and bought bananas (bananos) and mangoes out of the back of a pick-up truck, which is how the fresh produce is sold here in the West End. I know I go on and on about food, but these are seriously the sweetest, most delicious bananas ever and I think I might move down here just so I can eat these and fish tacos every day. I will never again eat those awful pesticide soaked flawlessly yellow imitations that they sell in North American grocery stores now that I've had a real banana. The same thing happened when I had strawberries in Japan and went home and could never enjoy strawberries again because they weren't as delicious as the ones I had there.

I went for a short swim in the rain and saw a man-of-war, those highly poisonous jellyfish with the big blue bubble heads that float on the water. The water is still beautiful even when it rains and I was hoping to get one last snorkel in before we leave tomorrow (or the next day, or the day after that...) but due to the runoff from the road, the water is pretty murky so here I am writing this instead.

I would also like to brag about the extensive collection of bug bites that I have collected on my left leg. At last count it boasted a grand total of thirty-six bites. My right leg would feel left out if I didn't mention that it has accumulated an impressive thirty-four bites. Keep in mind this does not even count the remaining bites on the rest of my body. I have this great 30% DEET repellant that I used every night, but forgot to slather it on one night when we went for a walk and as a result I have achieved that attractive polka-dotted epidermis look made popular by sufferers of the chicken-pox.

No comments: