Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nostra Coco -literally, 'we coconut' (from Travel Blog)





Up at the crack of ... well... dawn I guess. The roosters were crowing, but I still have no idea what time it is. I went outside to lie in the hammock and read before Robyn and Danielle woke up (they had been drinking caribbean rum and went dancing yesterday night, I still wasn't feeling so well so I stayed home. Plus I don't dance.) There was a barn owl sitting on our balcony just outside our door, and of course, when I went to take a picture of it, it flew off. We'd picked up a coconut from the beach last night and brought it home, so at dawn I lay in the hammock and shucked it. It's harder than you'd think, and I was covered in coconut sawdust by the end, but there is something ultimately satisfying about shucking your own coconut (if that's what you do with it. Peeling? no. Removing the husk?)







Trying to recall what we did yesterday, and it consists of this: Woke up, ate breaky at 11:30. Walked to the bank. Walked back. Lay in the hammock and read. Went for a swim at the beach. Dinner time. Walked down the road to watch a volleyball game. Then more reading and sleep. Clearly, we're on island time and we have no watch or clocks.





In my previous blog I forgot to mention this. We were walking down the street on our first night here, and we pass a little open bar called the Purple Turtle. It's full of people our age, and as I'm ushered through to the end of the bar a guy says to me "Hola. You are the most beautiful girl I've seen in two weeks." My first thought was that I wasn't "the most beautiful girl he's EVER seen." No, just in two weeks. Hmmph. I'm pretty sure I reacted with a famous Kimie weird look. Cocked eyebrow and frown and What?! written all over my face. We ran into him again last night, and I told him that I thought it was hilarious that I was only the most beautiful girl he'd seen in two weeks. He responded with: "Well... maybe in three weeks. Yes. Definitely three." At least these guys are honest.

No comments: